Fytso

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

#VeganExperiment2014

#AshWednesday

Today is the first day of Lent.  Are you making a sacrifice over the next 40 days?  It's day one of my Vegan Experiment.  I'm actually really excited about this.  Who knew animal protein was such a controversial subject!  I'm going to share some of my vegan meals with you as well as provide you a macronutrient comparison to what I would typically be eating.  I won't do this every day, for every meal…because there is more to me than macronutrient calculations :)!  However, I do like knowing the difference and I will say that I have yet to find a single vegan cookbook that provides macronutrient data or even calories per serving for their recipes.

Today started with this:
Apple Pie Toast
2 Slices Sprouted Grain Toast (Trader Joe's brand)
2 TBSP Organic Almond Butter
1 medium apple
Cinnamon 

 Calories:375 Fat:18 Protein:14 Carbs:32 Fiber: 14 Sugar:13

I would normally eat a version of this:

1 ego plus 2 whites, 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 banana (usually grapefruit) and a few walnuts. I usually have coffee or tea (this day, apparently I couldn't choose :).

Calories: 325 Fat: 9 Protein: 20 Carbs: 40 Fiber: 7 Sugar: 8 

Today I had the rare opportunity of drinking coffee at home out of a real mug.  Coffee tastes a trillion times better out of a ceramic mug.  Anyone else agree.  It's just not the same out of a steel travel mug.
This one was brought back to me from my Sister when her family went to Disney.  It makes me laugh :) And think of my nieces and nephew!  I added 1/4 cup of frothed soy milk to my coffee, so add 27.5 calories and 2 grams of protein.

The only thing missing is a the Margarita :)

For lunch, I made a recipe I titled Fiesta Fajitas.  Do you name your food?  Say yes.  


2 Sprouted Ezekiel Wraps
¼ cup refried black beans (vegan, obvi)
2 TBSP Salsa
1 TBSP Hummus
2 handfuls of baby greens
¼ avocado
(split the ingredients amongst the 2 wraps and enjoy)

Calories: 340 Fat: 9 Protein: 12 Carbs: 44 Fiber: 12 Sugar: 3

Dinner To Go

I'll have dinner at the gym because I have a full evening of training.  I am pretty excited about having it prepped and ready to go!  This is called my Sweet and Savory Loaded Potato:

I'll put it together when it's time to eat it.

Calories: 401 Fat:10 Protein: 10 Carbs: 69 Fiber: 12 Sugar: 12

Note:  All of the sugar that I have consumed today has been the sugar that is naturally found in the whole food that I'm eating.  There has been no added sugar (aside from the amount that's in my post workout shake-which I will share with you in the next post-including my workout!)

Vegan Day #1

This pretty much concludes my food for the day.  I did have a "Vegan Strawberry Milkshake" which I will share in the next post and a square  2 squares of dark chocolate (vegan, obviously) that totaled 50 100 calories.  Also included 9 grams of fat, 8 carbs, 3 grams of fiber, 2.5 grams sugar and 2 grams of protein.

I would normally have one additional snack, but I got to sleep in today (until 6:30am!) so I slept through what would normally be my first meal.


No worries!  You will not be getting a daily play by play of my life through food!  Ain't nobody got time for that!  But I will share with you periodically to let you know how my body & mind are responding.  I will also share some macronutrient comparisons (to my non vegan, typical meals) for my lunches, dinners and snacks on future posts.  Let me know if you want to see/know about something I haven't shared.

Don't forget, you can follow me on Twitter @omnoshedidnt and participate on Instagram  Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #VeganExperiment2014.  You can find me on Instagram under xTheSwanx, and here is a link to my Facebook page Swan Barre on Facebook!  I will be doing a give-a-way at the end of March, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment