Fytso

Friday, March 21, 2014

"I Need a Sandwich" Workout!

I Need a Sandwich

As promised, and better late than never: Here is the "I Hope No One is Watching" workout, however, I changed the name to "I Need a Sandwich" workout for reasons that are two-fold.  A) It made me hungry and I wanted a sandwich B) The 6 rep superset is sandwiched by 2 one mile runs.  

It goes a little something like this:


So simple, yet so exhausting!  I did the 1 mile run at a pace that was pretty fast for me, so I was really pushing it.  I stayed near the wall for the handstands (for extra support).  If you recall, one of my goals is to be able to hold a handstand for 30 seconds without support, so this is with the goal in mind.  I held 15 pound dumbbells for the walking lunges.  I wanted a little resistance, but not too much.  Six sets is a lot!  Alternating between those two exercises, I was pretty wiped out by the time I did my second mile run.  I kept a steady pace, then wrapped up with a 10 minute Corpse Pose :) Ommmm.

This workout was simple and fun.  It was just what I needed.  Definitely got my heart rate up and the blood flowing.  The handstand helps force some blood flow to the brain.  Did you know that the human brain accounts for less than 2% of your body weight but consumes 20% of the blood flow throughout the body?  Just read than in Daniel Amen's book, "Magnificent Mind at Any Age". 

If you are interested, click here for an article about the benefits of holding handstands.   

The Angry Vegan

I've had a some moments lately.  I was feeling a little weak and hungry and started to blame my experiment.  I actually considered eating an egg!! Or three! But a good friend talked me down (to my surprise) and I ate a sweet potato with hemp seeds instead…whew, that was close.  The whole point of the experiment is to experience these issues, address them and resolve them.  I suppose having an egg is on way to resolve the issue, but I want to be true to my word and to the experiment, so I am pressing on.  (If you really want to own something, blog about it.  Really ups the commitment ante).  I think my solution is very simple…Plan. Better.  I keep worry about losing lean mass with my decreased protein intake as well as the increased amount of fat and carbs that I'm getting.  Bottom line, my body appreciates all of these nutrients.  They are coming from whole food sources.  They are good for me.  I checked my body composition today and I'm actually quite the same as I was when I started.  

The following rules really apply to anyone who is trying to stay committed to a healthy meal plan.  Feeling panicked, frustrated, having cravings, etc. are all normal facts of life.  What can you do?  Make a list of your favorite "go-to" foods that are supportive of your goals and delicious.  Have many or all of them available always!  Or at least be aware of what they are so that you know what to get.

Here is my list of vegan life savers:

Roasted Chickpeas

I did Italian seasonings on this batch, but you can make them spicy, sweet or savory.  They are so amazing right out of the oven, but keep well for a few days too.  I usually do a 1/2 cup serving.  That has 135 calories, 22.5g carbs,  6g fiber, 7.5g protein.  

Avocado
 I love avocado.  I put it on everything!  Here I paired it with a diced grapefruit as part of my breakfast. I could put avocado on absolutely anything!  I would typically have 1/4 of an avocado as a serving.  If it's a tiny one, I may eat half.  That's about 80 calories, 7.5 grams of fat, 4.5g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 1g protein.  Avocados are an excellent source of potassium (containing more per weight than bananas). In addition, avocados are rich in Vitamins K, B9,B6, B5, Vitamin C, and E.
Hemp Seeds
These versatile seeds have a mild, nutty flavor and a soft texture.  I love putting a spoonful on top of my sprouted grain toast with apricot jam.  I also add it to salads, sweet potatoes, smoothies, etc.  Three tablespoons contain 170 calories, 14g fat, only 2g carbs and 11g protein! 

 Chia Seeds
Love topping my protein shake with these.  I already told you about my life saving vegan protein mix that I drink daily.  Love that stuff!  This drink includes 2 scoops of the vanilla vegan protein, 2 cups of water, 1 cup frozen pineapple and 1 teaspoon Matcha tea.  I put 1 tablespoon of Chia Seeds on top.  Chia Seeds are an excellent source of fiber & healthy fat.  They also have a reasonable amount of protein.  Click here for more info on why you might want to have some Chia in your life.

Tofu Curry
This is from one of my favorite restaurants, Thai Grill in Westerville.  I am obsessed with their Salmon Curry, but that is off limits for now.  This Tofu Curry is insane!  I could eat it every single day! So glad this place is close to where I work and live, because when I'm really hungry, nothing is as satisfying as this dish.  It includes tofu, cabbage, sweet potatoes, snow peas & zucchini.  I would tell you to go try this place, but they are already pretty busy and you might slow down my order :)  Kidding! Check it out, but take me with you!!

Magnificent 7

Last one!  I'm back into juicing.  I had a love affair with juicing a year or so ago, but I am currently without a garbage disposal, which makes cleaning my juicer hazardous to my plumbing…lesson learned.  Luckily, Raisin Rack has phenomenal juices!  My favorite is the Magnificent 7.  It contains beets, celery, lemon, ginger, apple and 2 other ingredients that have escaped me.  It tastes like drinking a delicious cup of health.


So, that's what keeping me alive and well.  What are your "go-to's"?  Vegan or not, I'd love to know!




No comments:

Post a Comment