Fytso

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Eat This, Lift That

Sometimes you NEED a snack.

Last time, we talked about things to do that aren't eating.  Obviously, we can't carry on without food forever.  So, here are 7 quick fixes for those times when you're out, you're starving and you have NO FOOD in your possession (shame on you for leaving the house without a cooler bag) and need something to tide you over until your next superfood stuffed meal.

1) Starbucks Perfect Oatmeal:  Who says you can only eat oatmeal for breakfast?  This makes a great snack with fiber and energizing-slow-digesting carbs.  They offer nuts or dried fruit as a mix in depending on your mood.  Grab a black coffee or an iced tea while your there.  You can pick one up for me too if you want ;) ***Trenta Shaken Iced Green Tea, Unsweetened, No Water***-That's my order.  If you can't find a Starbucks nearby, then you have probably left the civilized world and you should just forage for wild mushrooms or spear a fish somewhere.


2) Kind Bar:  Kind Bars have come a long way over the past 10 years.  They are now sold in over 80,000 locations in 30 varieties, so chances are, you'll be able to find them.  Most flavors are made with simple, real ingredients and are primarily nuts.  The newer varieties have 5 grams of sugar or less.  They are filling and usually contain 10 grams of protein (give or take).  Not sure what flavor to try first?    Check out this article!  This guy tasted and ranked all 30 flavors.

3) Fage Greek Yogurt:  It contains Protein, Probiotics, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium and B vitamins in a convenient single serving cup.  These are easy to find and with the fruit preserves or honey on the side, you can control the amount of sweetnes .  I prefer the plain with honey.  If I'm really hungry, I'll go for the 2% milk fat because it's a little more filling and the extra fat helps keep my brain functioning more clearly.


4) Superfruit Power Smoothie with Ginseng (Panera): If you're in the mood for something fruity and refreshing, this smoothie will give you a natural burst of energy with the added ginseng.  It will stay with you for a little while with 14 grams of protein.  Not quite as nutritious as making one at home yourself (if you're making one of my recipes), but every bit as delicious and you won't have to wash the blender.



5) The Good Bean:  I love making roasted chickpeas at home and they are so simple to travel with, but some mornings I'm lucky to find my keys, let alone  remember to grab the baggy of chickpeas.  Never fear, The Good Bean offers those little brain boosting (i.e. folate containing) bites on your supermarket shelf.  Picking up a bag is as simple as grabbing a bag of potato chips, but with fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals.  Right now they are available in most health food markets and are quickly popping up at more stores nationwide. 

6) Produce: Sorry to be blogger of the obvious, but sometimes the simplest ideas are the most overlooked.  You can grab a piece of fruit or a veggie that requires no more prep than a quick rinse off in the closest fountain.  Apples, carrots, cucumbers, grapefruit & sugar snap peas are some of my favorites that hold up pretty well while you're on the go.

7) Jerky:  One of my secret favorites.  While I've been primarily a plant lover most of my life, I've often found myself with a hankering for a meat treat.  If you're have a carnivorous craving, look for a nitrate free variety with simple ingredients.  Forget the Slim Jim.  There are fancy artisan varieties available now.  You can even fine jerky tossed in trail mix.  A perfect snack if your day is going to be long and strenuous (i.e. Not for lying on the couch while watching re-runs of The Office).



Should bananas be a controlled substance?

About an hour before it was time to get my zen on at yoga, I found myself with a free hour.  Having lots I needed to accomplish in that hour, I decided to procrastinate with a workout.  I needed some pre-workout fuel.  While I rarely eat bananas, I had one handy, so I went for it.  I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but when I eat a banana I turn into a white-girl version of The Incredible Hulk.  There are plenty of reasons for this.  One being that bananas contain 3 different types of sugar.  If the fructose doesn't get you, surely the glucose or sucrose will.  Add a cup of coffee to the mix and I'll be over to re-roof your house.  Anyhow, I used the energy surge to complete the following:

(ummmm, I spelled banana wrong. 
 I don't have time to fix it right now, so let's all pretend not to notice)

I completed 4 sets of the following:

Barbell Squats (95 lbs, 15 reps)
Rear delt. single arm rows (15 each side, 35 lbs on the end of a bar)
Walking lunges w/ lateral raises (8 lb dumbells, 15 each leg)

Then I did this:
Don't worry, you know I'll share it will you, but that's a post on it's own.

THEN…I did 4 sets of these exercises:

Wide grip lat pulldowns (15 reps, 75 lbs)
Hanging Leg Raises (15 reps)
TRX Rows (15 reps)
Box Jumps (15 reps)

THEN…the Bosu circuit again.  

THE END!

I love sharing my workouts with you, but keep in mind, if you aren't experienced, seek guidance to check your form.  Also, know that weights are not one size fits all.  It's better to start lighter and work your way up.  Let me know if you have any questions!

Now, time for some Ommmmmmmm…..




No comments:

Post a Comment