Fytso

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Want To Be Starting Something?

Let's Get it Started!

Did you know that your chances of completing something increase tremendously by implementing one key factor...beginning.  I know, I sound like a brat right now, but this is something that has taken me years to accept and I'm still working on sharpening this skill.  The reason most goals are not achieved is because we miss the most important step: the first one.  I guess acknowledging the goal is the very first step, but beginning is the second first step.  Why do you think we fail to begin?  I have a theory:

A few months ago there was this trend on Facebook where people were posting lists of facts that you may not already know about them.  I was totally submerged into reading these list (the most interest I 'd had in Facebook probably ever).  I noticed a trend amongst most of the lists.  The 3 most common fears that people face are:

1.) Spiders



2.)Snakes (Ditto!)
(aaaand now I'll have nightmares tonight)

3.)  FAILURE!
(Bless his heart for trying ;)

I was shocked to read repeatedly that people were consciously aware of their fear of failure, many people admitting that they often avoid trying new things with the primary reason being that they don't want to fail.

Fittingly, I saw this status update today which I couldn't have put in better words myself:

Of course, this doesn't mean that there aren't people in your life that care.  What it means is that no one is sitting around taking note of your failures because, honestly, people are busy worrying about their own trials and tribulations.  Additionally, I'm not saying you don't have a cheering section that's out there hoping your wildest dreams come true.  Those people exist!  And those people will be there for you when you are up, down and everything in between.  

Let me get to the point...

Another year has come and gone and you probably have some goals or items on your bucket list that are not only unfinished, but unstarted.  I know I do.  If you want to hold on to your rational fears (like snakes...totally get that), by all means, carry on, but when it comes to failure, LET IT GO!  I promise you, the more you fail the more you'll succeed.  Failures (maybe we need a new word for it), have been wrapped in some of the most joyful, educational, enriching experiences of my life and if you reflect on your own experiences I bet you will see the same pattern.  Classic meathead metaphor...When you are training for hypertrophy (muscle growth) you have to push the muscles to failure to make progress.  We  (like our muscles) grow through failure.  But if we sit idle through life, like out muscles, we will atrophy.

I've been working on my goals for 2014.  When preparing for a new year I like to group my list of personal and professional goals into a theme.  Last year the theme was Growth, which I feel I made huge progress in that category.  Of course, we are never done growing, but having that theme to reflect on throughout the year was very helpful in keeping my mind in the right perspective.

The theme for 2014 came to me quickly.  When reviewing my goals I noticed they are kind of scary.  They are big and risky and are going to require a lot of commitment and faith.  If you want to join me in sharing my theme this year, I'm happy to discuss your goals with you and help you hash out a plan of action.  Are you ready to hear my theme for 2014?  Wait for it...


FEARLESS


This year is going to be about setting fears aside (or at least using them as a catalyst for beginning) and tackling what you'd do if failure weren't a concern.  

What is your theme for the new year?  Do you want share mine?

1 comment:

  1. I am with you! set fears aside and conquer new challenges!

    ReplyDelete