Fytso

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

99 Problems? Your legs are going to be tired!


Work Out Your Problems.  Literally.


We all have ‘problems’, right?  (I don’t know if I like the word “problem” as I think perception is really what makes a problem, but for the sake of a universal language, let’s continue to use the word “problem” and I promise not to frame it in bunny ears for the rest of this post).  I suppose they are worthy of our attention as ignoring them does not necessarily make them go away.  While we may need to tend to them from time to time, we don’t need to let them own us.  Especially the ones we have no control over.  Here is what I do when I’m letting things beyond my control outshine my joy:

Step 1:

Find a hill or a large set of stairs:

(A prize for anyone who can name this location!)


Step 2:

Gather a stone for each problem you are facing X 2.  Today I gathered 10 stones.  I didn’t actually have 5 problems that were weighing me down, but I wanted to run the stairs 10 times, so I dug deep and came up with  some extra ;) Actually, just things I wanted to improve on more so than “problems”…sorry, I said I wouldn’t bunny ear it again…Then take your stones to the top of the hill/staircase.

Step 3:

Line up said stones at the top of the hill/staircase and assign a problem to each of the first half (5 in my case) and assign something you are grateful for to each of the second half (also 5).  Run/walk back to the bottom of the steps.


(Didn't occur to me to take a pic until I finished round 6.  Anyone else get smarter near the end of a cardio session?)




Step 4:

Run back to the top of the steps and toss the first problem stone into the distance (in my case, I toss it into the water).  This is my way of 'giving it to God'.  I don't need to carry the burden any more, I've let it go to be taken care of in due time.  Run/walk back to the bottom and repeat this until each problem rock is gone.  Continue with this pattern when you get to the gratitude rocks, but this time, instead of throwing the gratitude rocks, just place them back on the earth and think about what each one represents (or say a little prayer of gratitude for each one).  Keep going until all of the stones have been addressed.


(Anyone know where I'm at yet?)


I notice that when I toss out my worries first I end up gaining energy when I’d normally be fatiguing.  Today, I definitely felt lighter as I finished my last few gratitude rocks.   Beware, the brain is a powerful muscle.  I felt so strong mentally that I didn’t realize how hard I was pushing myself.  When I went to drive home my legs were shaking like a leaf.  My car has a manual transmission and my calf was not wanting to push that clutch in!  But I survived and felt amazing when I was finished.  I rehydrated with about 16 oz of water and put together one of my favorite protein shakes:


Quick, easy and tastes like a frozen PB & J!  I am loving that brand of Almond Milk.  Only 2 ingredients, almonds & water.  It's creamy and only 40 calories.  I've only seen it at Whole Foods, but I am on the lookout for it at other locations.  The brand is Califia Farms.  Let's all go buy some so that they keep making it!! Don't you hate when you are the #1 fan of a product or show that no one else is into so it ceases to exist!  The first time I noticed this phenomena was when the show Nearly Departed was canceled in the late 80's.  Then I was stung again when Veronica Mars was canceled a few years ago.  I tried to save it!  I grew a small cult of fans, but it wasn't enough.  Let's not let this happen to Califia Farms Almond Milk!!  Tell your friends :)  Buy some for your mother.  Share the love :)


4 comments:

  1. Close!! Someone else guessed that too. I'm at that other body of water in Central Ohio ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Ding-ding-ding! You are correct! Since you were the first to respond on the blog, you get a prize too :) I hope you like it! I'll have it for you at the gym.

      Delete