Fytso

Friday, November 16, 2012

Testing 1-2-3

 Testing 1-2-3

It's the Friday before Thanksgiving!  I am hosting Thanksgiving for the first time in my life this year.  I've been trying new recipes this week so that I can do a test run before I serve these dishes on the big day.  I've been on a delicata squash kick lately, so yesterday I tried a simple roasted squash recipe.



I just chopped these into half moons and topped them with himalayan salt and pepper.  I roasted them at 425° and it only took about 20-25 minutes.  Note: I recently discovered that you can...EAT THE SKIN!  The skin of this type of squash is very thin.  I just read that it was edible, so I tried it yesterday, and indeed, it is.  

I also had some great tilapia with the squash:


This was topped with turmeric, chili powder, mustard seed and pepper. It is such a great combination of flavor, but ultimately, the health properties are significant.  Turmeric is known for it's natural antiseptic properties.  It is used in Chinese medicine as an anti-depressant and it is also known for boosting metabolism.  Chili powder includes trace vitamins and minerals like calcium, iron, potassium, vitamin A and vitamin C.  To find out more about the benefits of mustard seeds, check out this link.  Dr. Oz has also mentioned that this combination of seasonings is great for setting your metabolism on fire (which is a good thing ;).  Here is a link to a cauliflower recipe that incorporates these spices.  In this article, it states that combining cauliflower combined with turmeric can help prevent prostate cancer.  

We just listed several ways that you can use food as medicine.  Now let's talk about a different type of medicine..my FAVORITE kind...the MEDICINE BALL!

I told you earlier this week that it is my favorite piece of equipment.  Now, let me show you a great workout that you can do with a medicine ball.  No other equipment is needed.

You'll start with the series of exercises that are shown in the video below:




Once you've completed 30 seconds of each of those exercises, complete 15 reps of the following exercises:






Once you've completed these 5 exercises, repeat the 30 second interval workout.  Go through this entire series 3 times...more if you'd like ;).  Let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment